Kansas Balance of State Continuum of Care
What is a Continuum of Care?
A Continuum of Care (CoC) is a collaborative approach to planning and funding for services related to homelessness. “Continuum of Care” refers not only to Housing and Urban Development’s programs, but also the geographical location covered by a CoC program, and the body of people that participate in homeless services within that geographic area, including service providers, advocates, local government officials, and community members. Click here for an additional webinar.
What is a Balance of State Continuum of Care?
Most CoCs are established to plan services in metropolitan areas. Balance of State CoCs cover the areas of a state that do not have the resources to establish their own CoC. For this reason, the Kansas Balance of State Continuum of Care (KS BoS CoC) is the largest of the 5 CoCs in Kansas and covers 101 of Kansas’ 105 counties (Click here to see the CoC Regions).
The KS BoS CoC is made up of all service providers, advocates, local government officials, and citizens who work to eliminate homelessness. The KS BoS CoC is divided into 9 regions.
The KS BoS CoC Governance Structure Consists of:
- CoC General Members: Anyone interested in ending homelessness who lives or works in the KS BoS CoC geographic area.
- CoC Steering Committee: The decision-making entity with no more than 32 members and no fewer than 19 members. Designated seats on the Steering Committee are those which represent a particular entity or region. Representatives for designated seats are selected by the entity or region that they represent. Elected seats are open to nomination and selection by the CoC membership, and elected persons may represent more than one seat, depending on their experience and expertise. All CoC Steering Committees members must also be CoC general members.
- CoC Committees: Groups composed of CoC General Members that carry out the high-level work of the CoC.
- CoC Collaborative Applicant/CoC Lead Agency: The agency that applies for CoC Program funds and the agency appointed by the CoC to carry out the mandated duties established by the CoC. In the KS BoS CoC, this role is filled by the Kansas Statewide Homeless Coalition.
- CoC HMIS Lead Agency: The agency appointed by the CoC to administer and operate HMIS. In the KS BoS CoC, this role is filled by Kansas Housing.
2001 Haskell Avenue
Lawrence, KS 66046